1. Look at the pictures and read the text aloud.
Answer: Do it yourself.
2. Now ask your partner questions about each picture.
(i) Where is the stag?
ANS: The stag was by the side of the pond.
(ii) What is he doing?
ANS: He was watching his reflection in the water of the pond
(iii) Does he like his antlers (horns)?
ANS: Yes, he liked his antlers.
(iv) Does he like his legs?
ANS: No, he does not like his legs.
(v) Why is the stag running?
ANS: The stag is running because the hunter is chasing it.
(vi) Is he able to hide in the bushes?
ANS: No, he is not able to hide in the bushes because his horns got stuck in the bushes.
(vii) Where are the hunters now?
ANS: The hunters are behind the stag.
(viii) Are they closing in on the stag?
ANS: Yes, they were getting closer to the stag.
(ix) Is the stag free?
ANS: Yes, the stag is free.
(x) What does the stag say about his horns and his legs?
ANS: The stag says that he was proud of his horns which could have caused his death and was ashamed of his legs which shaved his life.
3. Now write the story in your own words. Give it a title.
Answer: TITLE—THE HORNS AND THE LEGS.
Once upon a time, there was a stag. He went to drink water from the pond and saw his reflection in the water. He felt proud of his beautiful horns but at the same time felt ashamed of his thin and ugly legs. Soon the hunter arrived and the stag started to run for his life while running his horns got stuck in the bushes but somehow he managed to escape.
After getting out of the danger, he started to think that the horns he was proud of, would have killed him today while his thin legs which he was ashamed of, had saved his life.
4. Complete the following word ladder with the help of the clues given below.
1. Mother will be very __________ if you don’t go to school.
2. As soon as he caught ___________ of the teacher Mohan started writing.
3. How do you like my ___________ kitchen garden? Big enough for you, is it?
4. My youngest sister is now a ____________ old.
5. Standing on the ____________ he saw children playing on the road.
6. Don’t make such a _____________. Nothing will happen.
7. Don’t cross the ___________ till the green light comes on.
1. Mother will be very cross if you don’t go to school.
2. As soon as he caught sight of the teacher Mohan started writing.
3. How do you like my tiny kitchen garden? Big enough for you, is it?
4. My youngest sister is now a year old.
5. Standing on the roof, he saw children playing on the road.
6. Don’t make such a fuss. Nothing will happen.
7. Don’t cross the street till the green light comes on.