Discuss the following questions in class. Then write your own answers.
1. When he felt the earthquake, do you think Ignesious immediately worried about a tsunami? Give reasons for your answer. Which sentence in the text tells you that the Ignesious family did not have any time to discuss and plan their course of action after the tsunami struck?
ANSWER: Ignesious did not realize about the tsunami when he felt the earthquake. He took the television and kept it on the floor to prevent it from the damage and all the other family rushed out of the house.
The ignesious family did not have any time to discuss and plan their course of action after the tsunami struck due to the confusion and chaos. In the chaos and confusion, two of his children caught hold of the hands of their mother’s father and mother’s brother and rushed in the opposite direction.
2. Which words in the list below describe Sanjeev, in your opinion? (Look up the dictionary for words that you are not sure of.)
Cheerful, ambitious, brash, brave, careless, heroic, selfless, heartless, humorous
Use words from the list to complete the three sentences below.
(i) I don’t know if Sanjeev was cheerful, ___________ or ___________.
(ii) I think that he was very brave,___________ and___________.
(iii) Sanjeev was not heartless, ___________or___________.
(i) I don’t know if Sanjeev was cheerful, ambitious or humorous.
(ii) I think that he was very brave, heroic and selfless.
(iii) Sanjeev was not heartless, brash or careless.
3. How are Meghna and Almas’s stories similar?
ANSWER: Both Meghna’s and Almas’s families were swept by the tsunami and only they were alive from their respective families. Meghna was floating on a wooden door in the sea for two days and was brought to the shore by a wave. Similarly, Almas also jumped on a wooden log and fainted. she was brought to a hospital. Both of the girls were traumatized, Meghna was seen walking on the seashore in a daze and Almas couldn’t talk about the incident.
4. What are the different ways in which Tilly’s parents could have reacted to her behaviour? What would you have done if you were in their place?
ANSWER: The other way in which Tilly’s parents could have reacted is that they could have not paid any attention to Tilly’s fright. They could have calmed her down and said not to worry about anything and they could have been washed away by the tsunami.
If I were in that place, I would have listened to Tilly’s instructions carefully and would follow the instructions.
5. If Tilly’s award was to be shared, who do you think she should share it with — her parents or her geography teacher?
ANSWER: In my opinion, Tilly should share her award with her geography teacher. Due to her geography teacher, she was able to identify the signs of a tsunami and was able to save the lives of numerous people.
6. What are the two different ideas about why so few animals were killed in the tsunami? Which idea do you find more believable?
ANSWER: The first idea is that animal has a sixth sense, they know when the earth is going to shake and they ran to a safe place to protect themselves. The second idea is that they have an acute sense of hearing that helps them to hear or feel the earth’s vibration. They can sense a disaster long before humans realize it.
In my opinion, the idea that animals have an acute sense of hearing is more believable.