1. A survey was made to find the type of music that a certain group of young people liked in a city.
Adjoining pie chart shows the findings of this survey. From this pie chart, answer the following:
(i) If 20 people liked classical music, how many young people were surveyed?
(ii) Which type of music is liked by the maximum number of people?
(iii) If a cassette company were to make 1000 CD’s, how many of each type would they make?
(i) Let 10% represents 100 people.
So, 20% represents = (100×20)/10 = 200
Hence, 200 people were surveyed.
(ii) Here 40% of the total people surveyed who liked light music and no other form of song. Hence, we can conclude that Light music is liked by the maximum number of people.
(iii)Total CD of classical music = (10 × 1000)/100 = 100
Total CD of semi-classical music = (20 × 1000)/100 = 200
Total CD of light music = (40 × 1000)/100 = 400
Total CD of folk music = (30 × 1000)/100 = 300
2. A group of 360 people were asked to vote for their favorite season from the three seasons rainy, winter and summer.
(i) Which season got the most votes?
(ii)Find the central angle of each sector.
(iii) Draw a pie chart to show this information
(i) According to the given table, Winter season got the most votes.
(ii) According to question:
Central angle of summer season= (90×360)/360= 90o
Central angle of rainy season= (120×360)/360= 120o
Central angle of winter season= (150×360)/360= 150o
3. Draw a pie chart showing the following information. The table shows the colours preferred by a group of people.
Number of people
Given, central angle = 360o
Total number of people = 36
Number of people
18/36 = ½
½ x 360o = 180o
9/36 = ¼
¼ x 360o = 90o
6/36 = 1/6
1/6 x 360o = 60o
3/36 = 1/12
1/12 x 360o = 30o
4. The adjoining pie chart gives the marks scored in an examination by a student in Hindi, English, Mathematics, Social Science and Science. If the total marks obtained by the students were 540, answer the following questions.
(i) In which subject did the student score 105 marks?
(Hint: for 540 marks, the central angle = 360°. So, for 105 marks, what is the central angle?)
(ii) How many more marks were obtained by the student in Mathematics than in Hindi?
(iii) Examine whether the sum of the marks obtained in Social Science and Mathematics is more than that in Science and Hindi. (Hint: Just study the central angles).
90o /360o x 540 = 135
65 o / 360 o x 540 = 97.5
80 o / 360 o x 540 = 120
70 o / 360 o x 540 = 105
55 o / 360 o x 540 = 82.5
(i) The student scored 105 marks in Hindi.
(ii) Marks obtained in Mathematics by students = 135
Marks obtained in Hindi by students = 105
Difference = 135 – 105 = 30
Hence, Student obtained 30 more marks in Mathematics than in Hindi.
(iii)Marks in social science = 97.5
Marks in Mathematics = 225
Marks in Hindi = 105
The sum of marks in Social Science and Mathematics = 97.5 + 135
The sum of marks in Science and Hindi = 120 + 105 = 225
Hence, the sum of the marks in Social Science and Mathematics is more than that in Science and Hindi.
5. The number of students in a hostel, speaking different languages is given below. Display the data in a pie chart.